Alabama Attorney General's Consumer Tip
Target Credit Monitoring
In December of 2013, Target confirmed the unauthorized access to payment card data that may have impacted certain guests who made credit and debit card purchases in their U.S. stores. Up to 70 million credit and debit card accounts, including names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses, may have been impacted by those who shopped at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013. In response to their ongoing investigation of the data breach, representatives of Target have provided the following information for Alabama consumers:
Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection to all guests who shopped in their U.S. stores. Consumers will have three months to enroll in the program. For additional details on Target Credit Monitoring, Alabama consumers may visit www.creditmonitoring.target.com.
Target selected Experian’s ProtectMyID, which will help consumers understand and keep track of their credit reports. ProtectMyID provides guests with:
- a copy of their credit report,
- daily credit monitoring,
- identity-theft insurance(except where prohibited by law),
- access to personalized assistance from a fraud resolution agent.
This ProtectMyID package includes tools to consumers for thorough credit monitoring and identity theft protection. This package does not include Experian credit score or reports from Equifax and TransUnion. When visiting the enrollment site, consumers will have the option to purchase these items at their own expense if they choose, but are not required to purchase a credit score to receive the benefits of credit monitoring and identity theft protection.
Target created a website specifically for guests interested in registering for free credit monitoring. Details on signing up for the free credit monitoring include:
- Consumers who shopped in U.S. stores may request an activation code by entering their name and email address at Creditmonitoring.target.com before April 23, 2014.
- Consumers will then receive an email from Target within 1-5 days that will include the unique activation code and instructions on how to register their code with ProtectMyID.
- Consumers will have until April 30 to register their code with ProtectMyID.
For more information regarding the Target Data Breach consumers may visit www.target.com/databreach