Alabama Crime Victims' Compensation Commission
The Alabama Crime Victims' Compensation Commission was established in 1984 by the Alabama State Legislature to financially compensate victims of violent crime. If you are a victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for victim compensation that helps pay your direct, out-of-pocket expenses from the crime. Ask the Victim Service Officer in your district attorney's office for an application or call the Alabama Crime Victims' Compensation Commission at 1-800-541-9388.
Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Act
- Section 15-23-1 Short title.
- Section 15-23-2 Legislative findings, etc.
- Section 15-23-3 Definitions.
- Section 15-23-4 Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission - Created; composition; meetings; rules and regulations; bond; compensation.
- Section 15-23-5 Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission - Powers and duties.
- Section 15-23-6 Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission - Annual report required.
- Section 15-23-7 Audit of financial affairs of commission authorized.
- Section 15-23-8 Compensation for economic loss resulting from criminal conduct - Authorized; procedure.
- Section 15-23-9 Compensation for economic loss resulting from criminal conduct - Collateral source contribution not required.
- Section 15-23-10 Compensation for economic loss resulting from criminal conduct - Hearing required generally; procedure in contested cases; settlement by consent order, etc.
- Section 15-23-11 Filing claim under article constitutes waiver of physician-patient privilege.
- Section 15-23-12 When compensation not awarded, diminished, etc.; reconsideration of award.
- Section 15-23-13 Award not contingent on prosecution or conviction of offender; effect of proof of conviction; suspension of proceedings under article.
- Section 15-23-14 Award of compensation subrogates commission to rights of claimant as to collateral source; funds recovered from collateral source held in trust for commission; disposition of trust funds; notice of action to recover damages; restitution hearings.
- Section 15-23-15 Amount and method of compensation; future economic loss generally; exemption from state and local taxes, etc.
- Section 15-23-16 Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Fund; created; purposes; composition; administered or managed by commission.
- Section 15-23-17 Assessment of additional costs and penalties; collection and disposition of additional assessments, etc.
- Section 15-23-18 Penalties - Influence peddling.
- Section 15-23-19 Penalties - Failure of commission member to disclose conflict of interest.
- Section 15-23-20 Penalties - Alteration of commission records, etc.
- Section 15-23-21 Penalties - Furnishing false information; failure to disclose material fact, etc.
- Section 15-23-22 Penalties - Unauthorized control over money or securities of commission.
- Section 15-23-23 Certain persons deemed ineligible for compensation.
Download the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Act